The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
For this assignment, choose one of the following questions and post your initial response to the Discussion Area by the due date assigned.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by the end of the week.
Question One: Measuring Responses
In the present business environment, the best decisions are the ones that are informed decisions. Such decisions are based on collecting and analyzing good data.
In order to properly measure, for example, the customers’ preferences regarding a product, it is important for a survey to ask the correct questions and in the correct manner.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of conducting a face-to-face interview compared with a less personal approach such as having someone fill out a questionnaire online?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of having structured questions compared with unstructured questions?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of asking open-ended responses compared with structured responses?
- What are some alternative response strategies?
Question Two: Obtaining Results from a Survey
Surveys are a good tool for collecting valuable information, if designed and implemented properly.
It is important that a survey provide valuable results.
- What can be done to assist in obtaining relevant results from a survey?
- How can a researcher build rapport with a participant?
- Would confidentiality likely lead to better results for a survey? Why or why not?
- What is pretesting? Is it useful in obtaining relevant results from a survey?
Justify your answers using examples and reasoning. Comment on the postings of at least two peers and state whether you agree or disagree with their views.