Description of the Assignment:
Refer to what your instructor wants you to do and/or to submit, as detailed below in the Deliverables section. Include the real-world (authentic) situation, type of task to be accomplished, and the sorts of higher-order thinking (analysis, reasoning, critical thinking, etc.) that were requested and/or shared throughout your course thus far.
Michael Porter wrote a book, Competitive Advantage (New York: The Free Press, 1980), which became the standard text on corporate strategy during the 1980s and 1990s, and remains so even today. In it, he claims that there are three sources of competitive advantage (1980, pp. 35-40):
(1) Overall cost leadership (you make something everybody else makes at lower unit cost)
(2) Differentiation (nobody else makes exactly what you make, and consumers are willing to pay a little extra to buy what you make rather than a substitute)
(3) Focus (you make a product or produce a service which is generally available, but focus on serving a narrow customer base and doing it better than anyone else)
Approach (3), if you think hard about it, is really just a combination of the other two, focused on a specific, often narrow customer base. Porter refers to the first two as pure strategies. See Slides 4-10 of the Lesson 10 Power Point for an analysis of these two pure strategies.
The rest of Porters book is a frameworkthe 5 Forces Model and its applicationfor assessing a businesss competitive situation, and how to direct its energies towards winning.
VIDEO: Watch the following video:
Finally, the two perspectives are compared in the following video:
After viewing these videos, address the following questions:
- What is the relationship between Porters approach and that of Blue Ocean theory? What significant differences are there between them (if there are any)?
- How are these approaches related to Druckers concept of creating a customer? Justify your position.
- How are each of them related to Druckers 5th principle of systematic entrepreneurship (Aim at market leadership)? Justify your position.
- Do you prefer one of these approaches over the other? Why or why not?
6-9 Pages minimum, see attachment for detailed requirements and guidlines