Assessment 1: Strategic Process and Analysis
Complete a VRIO or Value Chain analysis, a PESTLE analysis, and a Five Forces model for an organization. Prepare a 3-6-page executive report that analyzes the internal and external environments of the organization and recommends a course of action based on the analysis.
AFI, VRIO, and value chain are just three concepts you need to understand as a business strategist. This assessment focuses on these important facets of business analysis.
For this assessment, you will analyze the internal and external factors that shape and influence an organization’s strategy. Your work on this assessment will demonstrate your understanding of industry forces and how an organization can leverage its strengths to its advantage. This portfolio work project asks you to analyze the strategic process using the AFI framework. This analysis will clearly demonstrate your ability to think critically and strategically, and to use evidence to support your thinking.
The vice president of strategy has asked you to prepare an objective analysis of the internal and external environments of the organization. She is hoping that your insight can be used to plan for the future direction of the company.
You are a strategic analyst for the company you have selected to use in this course. The company has recently started the strategic planning process and needs to analyze the current internal and external environments.
To complete this assessment, be sure you understand the AFI framework as presented in your text. Conduct your own research to find recent articles on the value of strategic planning and the role of leadership in the strategic planning process. (Note that the Strategic Management Process Map on pages 30 and 31 of the course text will be very helpful in completing this assessment.)
For this assessment, you will need to complete a VRIO or Value Chain analysis, a PESTLE analysis based on research of the organization (not conjecture or opinion), and a Five Forces model (pay attention to the relationships of elements from both PESTLE and Five Forces). These must be included as appendices in the document you submit. You should also research the industry your company is in, as well as the company’s website for information and supporting evidence. Once you have this research completed, prepare an executive briefing report that will be distributed to senior executive leadership. In your report, address the following:
- Analyze the key components of the AFI strategic planning framework. Assess the value of using a strategic planning framework for long-term success and sustained competitive advantage.
- Analyze the internal environment of the organization.
- What are the key findings from your VRIO or Value Chain analysis?
- How well does the organization leverage its strengths to execute the business strategy?
- How effective is the organizational structure and management system design?
- Analyze the external environment of the organization.
- What are the key findings from your PESTLE analysis?
- What are the key findings from your Five Forces analysis?
- How can the organization respond to these forces to better position itself?
- Explain the role of leadership in the strategic planning process. Be sure to address the ethical responsibilities of leaders in the strategic planning process.
- Recommend a course of action for leadership based on your analysis.
The strategic process and analysis is a professional document and should therefore follow the corresponding MBA Academic and Professional Document Guidelines, found under Writing in the MBA Program Resources, which you can find in the Tools and Resources for this course. Pay attention to the sections on APA formatting and citing references.
In addition to the analysis, include:
- Title page.
- Table of contents.
- Executive summary.
- References page with APA formatted references from at least five sources.
- Appendices: VRIO or Value Chain analysis, PESTLE analysis, and Five Forces analysis.
- arget length of 3-6 content pages in addition to Title page, Table of Contents, Reference pages, and Appendices” including your VRIO/Value Chain, PESTLE, and Five Forces analyses.
- Written for an audience of executive leaders.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies through corresponding scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Assess the importance of strategic management for supporting long term success and sustained competitive advantage.
- Analyze the key components of the AFI strategic planning framework, assessing the value of using a strategic planning framework for sustained competitive advantage.
- Explain the role of leadership in the strategic planning process.
- Competency 2: Apply strategic thinking approaches to resolve business-related challenges.
- Recommend a course of action based on an internal and external environmental analysis.
- Competency 3: Analyze the internal and external environments of an organization in order to formulate and implement successful strategies.
- Analyze the internal environment of an organization.
- Analyze the external environment of an organization.
- Competency 5: Communicate business needs, opportunities, and strategies with multiple stakeholders.
- Address assessment purpose in a well-organized text, incorporating appropriate evidence and tone in grammatically sound sentences.
- Apply the standard writing conventions for the discipline, including structure, voice, person, and tone.
Faculty will use the scoring guide to review your deliverable as if they were the vice president of strategy. Review the scoring guide prior to developing and submitting your assessment.
This portfolio work project demonstrates your competency in applying knowledge and skills required of a MBA learner in the workplace. Save this activity to your ePortfolio for future reference in the workplace.
Note: Faculty may use the Writing Feedback Tool when grading this assessment. The Writing Feedback Tool is designed to provide you with guidance and resources to develop your writing based on five core skills. You will find writing feedback in the Scoring Guide for the assessment, once your work has been evaluated.