Chapter 6 – Assignment
Scenario – Mary Smith has just reported for duty and is reviewing the patients she will have during the evening shift. One of them, Ida Monroe, is on isolation for an infectious disease. Dr. Jerome comes into the nursing station around 9:00 P.M. after making hospital rounds to see his patients. He tells Mary that he noticed that one of his neighbors, Ida Monroe, is a patient, and he would like to review her medical chart. Mary starts to give him the chart and then realizes that Dr. Jerome is not Idas physician. Dr. Jerome says not to worry about that since he has taken care of the rest of Idas family for years and is sure that Ida will want him to consult on her case. When Mary hesitates to give him the chart, Dr. Jerome says that he will report her to her nursing supervisor. He walks over to pick up the chart.
- Read the scenario above and then, answer the following questions:
- Should Mary give Idas medical chart to Dr. Jerome? Why or why not?
- What should Mary say to Dr. Jerome?
- What should Mary do if Dr. Jerome continues to insist on seeing Idas chart?
- What ethical principles are involved in this case?
- What legal regulations are involved in this case?
- Your assignment should be:
- One (1) page
- Typed according to APA style for margins, formatting and spacing standards
- Typed into a Microsoft Word document, save the file, and then upload the file