This work will be a two-page text about concept analysis/development. This will prepare you toward gaining a beginning understanding of knowledge development and nursing theory development. From your personal philosophy (Always look for opportunities to leave the world a better place”); identify one concept alone that you value very much (Compassion) and that guides you every day in your practice of nursing. Then review Chapter 3 pages 57-59 about steps in concept development and analysis by Walker and Avant.
Perhaps you have gone through self introspection every now and then you might ask yourself:
- Why do I value this? (Always look for opportunities to leave the world a better place)
- Why do you value compassion?
For this work you will perform an analysis of a concept (compassion). Perhaps you would want to be curious as to how this word came about. In other words, you would want to know it origins. This is what you call the epistemology of a concept. Then go back to values clarification. Ask yourself:
- Why do I value this concept so much?
- Explain the reason why it is significant in your life.
- Further, why did it become important part of my belief system?
Then, ask yourself:
- Have I been applying my belief system in term of my professional nursing practice? Explain why?
Expand the answers to the why to the 4 metaparadigms of nursing: person, health, environment, nursing. At this point you are now connecting your concept with the 4 metaparadigms of nursing.
It should adhere to 7th edition APA style (includes introduction, body, conclusion).